Category: Automotive & Road Transportation – Design Part
Winner: Carbon roll cage for production cars
Organization: Porsche AG (Germany)
Partners: Action Composites GmbH (Austria); Kube GmbH Ingenieurbüro (Germany); Lab for Lightweight Design, IKTD, University of Stuttgart (Germany)
An extremely lightweight carbon roll cage enabled by unique geometry has been fitted into a road-legal production car. The initial metal design was able to withstand extreme elongation. Thus, the use of carbon fiber presented a major challenge for this application because of its typically low elongation at break. The engineering innovation of the project is a new three-step structural optimization process providing a specific design suitable for carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) taking full consideration of an extremely limited design space as well as multiple crash and load cases.
- High weight reduction compared to steel and even titanium;
- optimized topology through a unique bionic design;
- innovative calculation approach — automated link between CAD and finite element analysis (FEA);
- innovative manufacturing process — structural hollow part in serial production;
- fulfills Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) load collective.