Pop quiz! Did you know:
- More than 10,000 medical technology–related patents were filed with the European Patent Office in 2012, more than were filed by any other technical sector?
- Europe is the second largest medical technology market in the world, worth an estimated €100 billion ($138 billion)?
- Tiny, land-locked Switzerland employs the most people per capita in Europe's medtech industry?
- Per capita medtech expenditure in Europe is approximately €195 ($268) versus $523 in the United States?
- Europe had a positive medtech trade balance of €15.5 billion ($21.3 billion) in 2012 compared with $7.3 billion for the United States?
- Forty-one percent of EU medtech exports went to the United States?
If some or all of that is news to you, you obviously have not seen a brochure that was just published by industry association MedTech Europe that is now available as a free download. The booklet is rich in graphics and provides well-referenced facts and figures on the EU medtech industry and markets.