Knapp Mfg. Inc. (Racine, WI) has a storied past but, more importantly, it is looking at a stellar future, as evidenced by groundbreaking on its largest expansion project to date.
The company was founded in 1945 by Fred Knapp in the proverbial garage, where he steel marked stamps, engraved signs and dials with the help of his son, Bob. Truly a family affair, his other two sons would come on board within a couple of years.
The company evolved and eventually began making molds—one of which was used to produce tubing for catheter products. In 1961, the company entered the plastic injection field specializing in intricate and detailed parts. Today, it provides design and engineering, moldmaking, injection molding and contract manufacturing and assembly services for a range of applications from medical technology and aviation to fluidic and pneumatic components. And it continues to grow, dwarfing in some ways its past accomplishments.
Knapp Mfg. owners Jay Haertle (left),
The company announced today that it held a formal pre-construction ceremony for a new facility to be built at its headquarters. Coming on the heels of a sixth year of record-breaking sales, Knapp is building a 14,000-square-foot facility, the 12th expansion on the site since 1955. The two-story structure will house an innovation and technology center as well as a business process center of excellence, automation department and mold vault.
In the past four years, Knapp has also added 31 permanent positions to its workforce, a second warehouse and a two-acre parking lot to its campus.
The new building is expected to be completed by January 2019.