is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Borealis and Borouge launch custom medical-grade compounding service

Article-Borealis and Borouge launch custom medical-grade compounding service

Borealis BorMed program
The Bormed InCompounds service is designed to expand the range of custom healthcare applications based on the Bormed portfolio of materials.

In an effort to broaden the customization potential of its compounds for healthcare applications without jeopardizing customers’ regulatory requirements, materials suppliers Borealis (Vienna) and Borouge (Abu Dahbi) have launched the new Bormed InCompounds service. It is designed to expand compounds in the company’s Bormed portfolio to new, custom healthcare applications through supply-chain collaborations with healthcare compounders, said the companies in a press release. The new service was officially announced at the pharmaceutical industry trade show CPhI Worldwide this week in Frankfurt.

The Bormed portfolio ranges from stiff and soft polypropylene and low- and high-density polyethylene to plastomers. Through Bormed InCompounds, Borealis collaborates with selected compounders to ensure quality, reliability and conformance in the compounds and masterbatches. This enables customers to manage or reduce the number of variables in their final products that are subject to regulatory approval and change-management procedures, said Borealis. Furthermore, customers can generate diverse, tailored compounding solutions based on Bormed for healthcare molding and film applications. These include a range of medical and diagnostic devices and pharmaceutical packaging such as IV bottles and pouches, pipette tips, syringes and inhalers.

Each participating compounder is a trusted and established Borealis partner that has fulfilled a stringent set of criteria. For example, each company must have a dedicated healthcare team composed of marketing and business development managers as well as application and regulatory experts; an established healthcare product brand; and ISO 13485:2016 certification.

Clariant, Melitek and Wittenburg are currently partnering with the Bormed InCompounds program.

The Clariant Business Unit Masterbatches provides color and performance-enhancing concentrates and compounds with over 80,000 live products manufactured in 50 production sites in 28 countries. Its Mevopur brand includes medical-grade concentrates and compounds and products pre-tested to relevant ISO, USP and EP standards.

Danish company Melitek is an ISO 13485–certified elastomer and polymer compounder, with 20 years’ experience focusing solely on the healthcare market. Its proprietary Meliflex compounds are produced on dedicated and redundant lines, each located in separate production cells in compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices.

The Wittenburg Group is a family-owned developer and manufacturer of a broad range of custom polymer solutions for medical, food contact and other demanding applications. Its medical compounding infrastructure and capability to produce complex and multi-component thermoplastic elastomer and engineering plastic compounds are key strengths of the group.

Borealis is jointly owned by Mubadala, which holds 64% of company shares, and Austria-based oil and gas company OMV, which has the remaining 36%. Borealis provides services and products to customers globally, in collaboration with Borouge, a joint venture with the Abu Dhabi National Oil Co., and with Baystar, a joint venture with Total and Nova Chemicals in Texas.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.