A new portfolio of engineering materials for medical device applications was introduced today by Royal DSM. The family of medical-grade polymers includes Arnitel Care polyester-based thermoplastic elastomer (TPC), Arnite Care polybutylene terephthalate (PBT), and ForTii Care polyphthalamide (PPA). The materials are intended for use in a range of non-invasive medical devices and meet or exceed FDA food-contact requirements, ISO-10993, and USP Class VI guidelines, said DSM.
The materials were developed by DSM’s engineering materials business to address growing customer demand for advanced material solutions, said the company. The research leveraged many years of successful applications for the medical industry, and took advantage of the company’s robust global manufacturing capabilities.
“Improving health and quality of life around the world is a core pillar of our business,” said Shruti Singhal, President of DSM Engineering Materials. “With our customers increasingly leveraging our advanced material solutions to improve the performance and sustainability of various medical devices, we are now taking the next step as we launch a portfolio of materials rigorously tested to adhere to the highest global quality and safety standards for medical applications.”
The key properties and applications of the materials are as follows:
Arnitel Care L225E, L140E, L345E
- Properties: Breathability, durability, chemical resistance
- Typical applications: Breathable films, respiratory tubing, wound-care products, and soft touch components such as wearable medical devices
Arnitel Care 155E
- Properties: Strong, flexible, and chemical-resistant 55 Shore D extrusion grade
- Typical applications: Medical and respiratory tubing
Arnite Care T1U
- Properties: High purity, mechanical strength, low moisture uptake, chemical resistance
- Typical applications: Durable thermoplastic medical device components, such as inhalers and minimally-invasive surgical tools
ForTii Care P1G6
- Properties: Mechanical strength, stiffness, high-temperature performance, chemical resistance
- Typical applications: Metal replacement, minimally invasive surgical tools