Toray Plastics (America) Inc. (North Kingstown, RI) has expanded its portfolio of white films and now offers consumer product goods (CPG) companies and converters five new Torayfan white-pigmented, metalized biaxially-oriented polypropylene (BOPP) films. The films are available in sealable and non-sealable versions and a variety of heat-seal strengths. End users can also dial in preferred oxygen and moisture-barrier levels.
Toray’s combination of pigment, sealant and barrier in one film allows end users and converters to manufacture a duplex instead of a triplex lamination in many applications such as salted crisp snacks, cookies, protein bar, and confectionery items.
“CPG companies wanted an aesthetically pleasing, high-barrier alternative to traditional metalized and cavitated white metalized films,” said Tammy Williamson, Associate Product Manager, Torayfan Division. “These new pigmented films offer robust barrier durability after converting, extended shelf life and a clean, bright white appearance, all of which enhance brand integrity.”
The new films are:
- Torayfan MPX4—a white, metalized, heat-sealable barrier web offering “superior moisture barrier, excellent oxygen barrier, an excellent hot tack, and a wide seal range.”
- Torayfan MP5H—a white, metalized film with enhanced seal strength and improved hermeticity, as well as the properties mentioned above.
- Torayfan MPHX5—an ultra-high-barrier, coated, white, metalized film with enhanced seal strength and improved hermeticity, with moisture and oxygen barrier and an enhanced “over the mountain” seal strength.
- Torayfam PCP1—a white, metalized and opposite-side corona-treated film for cold-seal applications, offering moisture barrier, anchorage of cold seal adhesives, bonding in extrusion and adhesive laminations, and no crazing.
- Torayfan PCP5—an ultra-high-barrier, white, metalized and opposite-side corona-treated film for barrier or cold-seal applications. PCP5 also offers moisture and oxygen barrier properties, anchorage of cold-seal pressure-sensitive adhesives, bonding in extrusion and adhesive laminations, and no crazing.
Torayfan MPX4, MP5H, MPHX5, and PCP5 films can be used with gas-flushed applications. The entire portfolio runs on horizontal form-fill-seal and vertical form-fill-seal machines.