The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI; Washington, DC) is now accepting entries for the 2018 Design for Recycling (DFR) award, ISRI’s highest award given annually to the most outstanding contribution to products designed with recycling in mind. It recognizes proactive steps made by manufacturers who have actively incorporated DFR principles into products and processes.
|Samsung Electronics America was the recipient of the 2016 Design for Recycling (DFR) award for the use of environmentally-conscious materials and advanced recyclable design in its 2016 Curved Full HD TV. Image courtesy Samsung.|
“Effective recycling really begins at the point a product is first conceived,” said Robin Wiener, President of ISRI. “The Design for Recycling award recognizes companies, designers, and manufacturers with clearly established mindsets that stand above others when producing products that can be recycled both safely and efficiently. When their products reached the end-of-life stage they can be recycled in a manner that benefits the environment and the economy.”
ISRI inaugurated the award more than 10 years ago. Previous winners include Cascades Fine Papers Group, Coca-Cola Recycling Co., the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Dell Inc., LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics, and this year’s winner, EcoStrate SFS.
To be eligible for ISRI’s Design for Recycling Award, a product must be designed/redesigned and manufactured to:
- Contain the maximum amount of materials that are recyclable;
- be easily recycled through current or newly designed recycling processes and procedures;
- be cost effective to recycle, whereby the cost to recycle does not exceed the value of its recycled materials;
- minimize the time and cost involved to recycle the product;
- reduce the use of raw materials by including recycled materials and/or components;
- have a net gain in the overall recyclability of the product while reducing the overall negative impact on the environment.
Interested parties can enter online before the Feb. 23, 2018, deadline. Applicants will be notified by March 16 and the winner will be officially recognized at the ISRI 2018 Convention and Exposition to be held April 14 to 19 in Las Vegas.
Questions can be directed to Mark Reiter or by phoning 202/662-8517.