Approximately 1100 visitors turned out in Kottingbrunn, Lower Austria to attend Wittmann Battenfeld's 2013 Competence Days (April 24-25), taking in 17 injection molding machines in operation as well as 30 exhibits from the company's automation and auxiliary units, all housed with in a brand new assembly hall for large machines that officially opened as well.
Machine demonstration highlights included the presentation of the first MacroPower E Hybrid large machine model, consisting of a modern, servo-hydraulic two-platen clamping unit combined with an all-electric injection unit. Wittmann Battenfeld believes this combination results in a large-tonnage machine with a minimal footprint, high precision, energy efficiency and high injection speeds. At the event, the MacroPower molded an auto interior B column.
- MicroPower 15 with an LSR equipment package, molding a medical application.
- IMIW (In-Mold Internal Welding) process on an EcoPower 110 with a mold supplied by Barkley.
- EcoPower Xpress 180 with IML and high-speed parts removal.
- EcoPower 180 using IML technology to produce credit cards from a biodegradable material developed by IFA-Tulln, Austria.
- CELLMOULD structured foam technology for molding pallets on a MacroPower 800 with a mold supplied by Haidlmair.
- HM 300 with ServoPower technology using the AIRMOULDgas injection to mold a hockey stick, also using a Haidlmair mold.
- BFMOLD variothermic technology, demonstrated on an HM 110 with insider solution.
- Multi-component injection molding of Playmobil figures created from three different components on an HM 65.
- High-speed TM Xpress and a VM 110 rotary table machine with an automation cell for parts insertion and parts removal.
In addition to machinery, presentations on special topics were delivered, including one from Ansgar Jaeger, a professor of injection molding and mold technology at the Wurzburg University of Applied Science. Jaeger spoke about "Megatrends reflected in injection molding technology". Helmut Kohake, Managing Director of Müller Technik, spoke about process combinations.
Additional presentations covered the advantages of the PowerSeries, integrated production cells, technology for processing bulk materials, micro technology and the combination of variothermic technology with structured foam technology.